How to Get the Lowest Prices at Target (and How to Max-out your Savings Automatically)
Whether you’re looking for clothing, groceries, home decor, or electronics, Target can’t be beat for great savings in nearly everything you could want for the home. While Target features some of the lowest prices and goods marked-down from their rivals, some prices may be lower at other places. Instead of spending your weekend shopping at different retailers just to get everything you need for your home, the Target price match policy can make your shopping experience cheaper and more efficient.
In this article, we’ll be taking an in-depth look at Target’s price match policy, how you extend their policy using your credit card, and an indispensable app that does it for you—automatically!
Target Price Match – How Does It Work?
Simply put, if you find an item at a low price elsewhere, the Target price match policy will match the item in-store and online.
If you buy a qualifying item (see below) at a Target store, only to find the identical item for less at another retailer, Target.com, or in a local competitor’s print or digital ad, you can get a price adjustment at the time of purchase and within 14 days of purchase afterwards. To begin the process, visit Guest Services or a check lane.
Target will price match a qualifying item (see below) on Target.com if you find the identical item for less at another retailer, or in Target’s or a competitor’s local print or digital ad. Stores are unable to match or adjust the price for a Target.com order. To begin the process, call Target.com Guest Services (1-800-591-3869) to request a price match within 14 days of purchase.
Who Target Price Matches:
Not every online retailer is honored by Target’s price match policy. Target limits price matching to the following retailers :
Guidelines and Limitations for the Target Price Match Policy
Once you’ve found the item from one of the above retailers, it still must match a number of guidelines to quality for the Target Price Match:
- Must Be a Match: The item must be the identical item (which includes brand, size, weight, color, quantity and model number.)
- In Stock: It must be in stock at the time of the price
- Price Verification: The price for an item/offer must be listed and valid at the time of match.
- For print ad verification, customers should bring the entire printed ad; for digital ads and online pricing, your mobile device can help verify proof of price.
- Original receipts or packing slips are required for price adjustments after purchase.
- Competitor catalogs can be matched as long as the price is identifiable and valid and all other price match criteria are met.
- Target to Target: In-store price matches from other Target stores are excluded.
- Location: Alaska and Hawaii Target stores are excluded from price matching online competitors.
- Rainchecks: No rainchecks will be issued for items that are out of stock at Target or Target.com.
- Limited Quantity: Target reserves the right to limit quantities of price matches per identical item per guest for local and/or online competitor matches.
- Combining: Target Gift Card offers and Target coupons cannot be combined with price match. Manufacturer coupons will be applied after a price match is made per Target’s coupon policy.
- Alcohol Policy: Items containing alcohol will be subject to state-by-state regulations.
Furthermore, there are a number of exclusions that disqualify a price match from the get-go:
- Clearance items
- Closeout items
- Liquidation sales
- Damaged items
- Items in Used condition
- Open package
- Rent/lease to own items
- Storewide or unspecific offers
- Non-branded items
- Prices that only display on a website after guests log in
- Pricing or typographical errors
- Limited time or quantity offers
- Daily deals
- Coupon offers
- Credit card offers
- Gift card offers
- Service offers
- Bundled offers
- Sales tax promotions
- Free items
- Mail-in offers.
- Contract mobile phone devices and the associated plans
- Optical, Target Portrait Studio, clinic and pharmacy purchases and offers
- Product services (warranties, assembly, etc.)
- Game reservations
- “Marketplace” prices and prices from 3rd-party sellers
- Cartwheel offers
Your Credit Card’s Price Protection
Target’s policy of 14 days from after a purchase may seem a bit short for many consumers. Furthermore, the Target price match policy does have many exclusions that may disqualify purchases. Is there anything a consumer can do?
The answer is yes—if you use your credit card to make your purchases at Target. Your credit card has a hidden perk called price protection, which allows you to claim a price reduction at retailers in a certain period after making a purchase. Typically, you’ll receive a statement credit on your credit balance after filing a claim. This process does vary depending on what credit issuer you use. For a full list of credit cards and their price protection perks, click here .
However, it should be noted that you will be spending time and effort to get the price difference. That’s where using Sift can tap into your credit card’s price protection perk and start the claims process for you—automatically! Want to learn more about Sift? Click here to find out how Sift can start saving you money on price protection and other perks, like extended warranty protection. To automatically track of all your extended credit card return protections and to unlock additional credit card benefits, download Sift from the Apple Store or Google Play.
* * *
(Note: Consumers should be aware that Target’s policies may change in the future. As of this writing, the information contained in this article is up-to-date.)