…and How to Automatically Extend Your Return Window
Bought something from Amazon lately that just wasn’t the right fit, the best choice, or it was damaged in the mail? The world’s largest online retailer offers a generous return policy so that you get what you want:
“Items shipped from Amazon.com, including Warehouse Deals, can be returned within 30 days of receipt of shipment in most cases. Some products have different policies or requirements associated with them.”
30 days is a generous policy for returns. But did you know that your credit card offers some hidden benefits if you’ve exceeded the return window for the Amazon return policy limits? In conjunction with purchases you make with your credit card, you may be entitled to an extension for your returns.
In this article, we’ll take a look at how the Amazon return policy works, exclusions, and how using Sift can automatically take care of the guesswork when it comes to getting what you want—even if you didn’t get it right the first time around. Let’s begin!
Amazon Return Policy – How Does It Work?
There are two return policies in effect for Amazon: purchases made directly from Amazon or purchases from 3rd-party sellers via Amazon.com.
If you’ve purchased your items for Amazon directly, you typically have 30 days to send back your purchase and receive a full refund (or an exchange for an identical item if in stock). For 3rd party sellers, you are typically under the seller return policies (which may differ from the Amazon return policy) and you must make your returns to the seller directly.
Depending on the type of item, there are a few general requirements of the Amazon return policy to be eligible for a full refund:
- Amazon Devices: For Kindle’s, Echo’s, and other Amazon-branded devices can be returned with in 30 days as long as they’re in new condition.
- AmazonFresh, Grocery and Wine, Live Plants or Insects, Pet Food: Items can’t be returned but they can be refunded via request.
- Amazon Products (Wickedly Prime, Amazon Elements, Happy Belly, Mama Bear, Presto!): 365 days to return for a full refund if “you don’t love them.”
- Automotive Items: Defective parts that are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty are eligible for a refund or replacement from Amazon for the life of the original warranty.
- Baby Items: can be returned within 90 days of receipt of shipment. (note: clothing sizes 0-24 months cannot be returned; breast pumps must be in original, factory-sealed condition)
- Collectibles, Fine Art, Jewelry: Items must be returned with tracking, require original documentation (i.e. certificates of authenticity, appraisal, grading), should be insured over $500, and the item must be photographed before shipping back to Amazon. For Collectible Coins, the 3rd-party must be contacted within 14 days.
- Computers (laptops & desktops): 30 days to return; however, the item may be subject to fees related to its returned condition.
- Customized Products & Handmade at Amazon: 3rd party must be contacted within 14 days to initiate the refund process.
- Digital Products: Games, software, and Amazon Appstore are not returnable; books from the Kindle Store can be returned within 7 days.
- Gift Cards: non-returnable.
- Hazardous Materials: non-returnable.
- Prepaid Phone or Game Cards: non-returnable.
- Televisions: Tv’s should be in new and unopened condition; for tv’s with Enhanced Delivery, the item should be in like-new condition.
- Tickets: non-returnable.
- Wedding Registry Items: for items purchased as gifts, there is a 180-day window to return the items; for items purchased by the registry owner, they are subject to the standard 30-day Amazon return policy.
[For more info on Amazon’s return policy, click here .]
Credit Card Return Protection
While you may have missed out on the return window, you should know that you qualify for an extension if you made the purchase with your credit card. Most credit issuers offer “credit card return protection ”.
Simply put, this creates an extension to the Amazon return policy even after it expires or qualifies you for a refund from the credit issuer if Amazon refuses to honor your return.
Of course, if you want to make the return process more efficient, Sift can help you manage your credit card purchases, automate the claims process, and help you keep track of how long you have before the extended return window runs out. To automatically track of all your extended credit card return protections and to unlock additional credit card benefits, download Sift from the Apple Store or Google Play.